Forum Haiti : Des Idées et des Débats sur l'Avenir d'Haiti

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
-15%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
(Adhérents Fnac) LEGO® Star Wars™ 75367 Le croiseur d’assaut de ...
552.49 € 649.99 €
Voir le deal

Prèmière interview de Ericq Pierre

2 participants

Prèmière interview de Ericq Pierre Empty Prèmière interview de Ericq Pierre

Message  Sasaye Sam 10 Mai 2008 - 15:56

AP Interview: Haiti's prime minister nominee says solutions to poverty must be long-term
By JONATHAN M. KATZ , Associated Press

May 9, 2008

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - An international banker nominated to be Haiti's next prime minister said Friday that Haiti must concentrate on long-term strategies to help the millions pushed deeper into misery by higher food prices.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Ericq Pierre promised to back President Rene Preval's far-reaching plans to address soaring prices, increase national food production and create jobs.

Pierre, a senior official with the Inter-American Development Bank, said it will take decades for the country to build up the revenues and resources needed to address the poverty and high prices that sparked deadly riots in April.

"There is a lack of food but this is also a problem of cash — there is no money," Pierre said in his first interview with foreign media since the nomination. "The priorities in this country look very clear: We have to fight the high cost of living and try to create jobs. Jobs, jobs and jobs."

Preval nominated Pierre to be his country's second-in-command last month after the Senate fired Prime Minister Jacques Edouard Alexis amid criticism that his government failed to show leadership and mismanaged the economy before violent protests that left seven people dead and destroyed hundreds of businesses.

Pierre said that if he is confirmed his government will pursue Preval's long-term goals of rebuilding agriculture, creating jobs and overhauling the justice system and schools.

He supports the president's 275-page poverty reduction framework prepared with the World Bank and International Monetary Fund as a way to build a functioning economy in a country where the U.N. says more than half the people survive on less than US$1 (euro0.65) a day.

On Wednesday, a Senate committee approved Pierre's qualifications in a vote to allow debate on his nomination. The Chamber of Deputies must now hold a similar vote, and it remains unclear when the full parliament will vote on his confirmation.

Confirmation is not certain. Preval nominated Pierre for the same position in 1997, but the Chamber of Deputies rejected him 43-9 after he promised to push a U.S.-backed economic plan that would have laid off thousands of government workers and privatized state-run enterprises.

This time around, Pierre, 63, said with a laugh that he has a "50-50 chance" of confirmation.

"I told (Preval) not to put my name forward if my chances were not at least good," he said in fluent English with a slight French accent. "Now we are in a negotiating process. I consider that my chances to be ratified and form my government are very good."

He called on lawmakers to put politics aside and consider his experience with the international development bank.

"I tell everybody that I am not here to be prime minister at any cost. We should sit down and talk about what we can do for the country."

Sen. Youri Latortue, one of the 16 senators whose no-confidence vote removed Alexis on April 12, said he has not yet decided if he will support the nomination.

"I don't think it will be easy (for Pierre)," Latortue said. "He has to show leadership."

If approved, Pierre will face a daunting task: restoring confidence in a government whose perceived failure to curb soaring food prices helped spark the April riots. Like many in Haiti, he believes the violence was caused by criminals who hijacked the otherwise peaceful food protests.

Still, the country is struggling to restore stability and rebuild its economy four years after a violent rebellion ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. The country is patrolled by some 9,000 U.N. peacekeeping troops and police.

Preval responded to the food riots by using international aid and negotiating with importers to temporarily cut the price of rice by 15 percent.

But Pierre, who praised the president's efforts to restore stability to Haiti, said the country must now try to increase national food production to reduce its overwhelming reliance on imports.

"It is time for us to take better responsibility. We have a lot of problems to solve in this country, but if you think about it, the Haitian people should be considered greater than their problems."

© 2008 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.
Sasaye
Sasaye
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Opinion politique : Indépendance totale
Loisirs : Arts et Musique, Pale Ayisien

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Maestro

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Prèmière interview de Ericq Pierre Empty Re: Prèmière interview de Ericq Pierre

Message  Rodlam Sans Malice Sam 10 Mai 2008 - 17:38

nou pa beswen moun ki ap vinn fè konsta selman nou beswen moun ki ap vini ak bon jan plan ki pou kwape grangou koloks la.Nou pa beswen tande diskou ankò/ nou beswen wè resilta.
Rodlam Sans Malice
Rodlam Sans Malice
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Loisirs : Lecture et Internet

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Stock market

Revenir en haut Aller en bas