Forum Haiti : Des Idées et des Débats sur l'Avenir d'Haiti

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment : -21%
LEGO® Icons 10329 Les Plantes Miniatures, ...
Voir le deal
39.59 €

Why there are no Haitian pro baseball players in U.S.

Why there are no Haitian pro baseball players in U.S. Empty Why there are no Haitian pro baseball players in U.S.

Message  Sasaye Lun 11 Mai 2009 - 11:15

Why there are no Haitian pro baseball players in U.S.
4 commentsby Clay Thompson - May. 10, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic .

Today's question:

I was told there are not any baseball players in Major League Baseball from the country of Haiti. There must be more than 100 from the Dominican Republic. Those countries share the same relatively small island. If there really are no players from Haiti, why not?

To tell you the truth, I wasn't planning on answering this one, but I poked around a bit and the best answer I could come up with was kind of interesting, so I thought I would give it a whack.

Every now and then, I get a call from one of you wanting to know why I haven't answered your question, and the fact of the matter is, I just can't answer them all for one reason or another. So, don't take it personally.

Anyway, this is the idea I came across about Haiti not embracing baseball.

Over the years, the United States has thrown its military weight around for one reason or another, real or imagined, for right or for not, at many of our neighbors to the south.

These include Nicaragua, Panama, Cuba and the Dominican Republic, and all those countries embraced the game introduced by U.S. troops to one degree or another.

Most of these invasions were fairly brief, but we also intervened with military force in Haiti from 1915 to 1934, and folks there really hated us. Probably with good cause. Sixteen American troops were killed during that occupation, compared with about 2,600 Haitians killed by our forces.

So, the Haitians weren't particularly happy with us and weren't about to head out to the old ballpark to watch the Marines play baseball.

It's true that Haiti is a major producer of baseballs for Major League Baseball, but it prefers soccer to America's pastime.

Reach Thompson at clay.thompson@arizonarepublic.com.
Sasaye
Sasaye
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Opinion politique : Indépendance totale
Loisirs : Arts et Musique, Pale Ayisien

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Maestro

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Why there are no Haitian pro baseball players in U.S. Empty Re: Why there are no Haitian pro baseball players in U.S.

Message  Invité Ven 15 Mai 2009 - 12:50

elephant

Dernière édition par lent=slow le Lun 7 Sep 2009 - 9:25, édité 1 fois

Invité
Invité

Why there are no Haitian pro baseball players in U.S. Empty Re: Why there are no Haitian pro baseball players in U.S.

Message  Invité Ven 15 Mai 2009 - 14:34

Samuel "Sammy" Peralta Sosa ne vous fait pas penser à quelqu'un ?

Invité
Invité

Message  Invité Sam 16 Mai 2009 - 12:15

elephant

Dernière édition par lent=slow le Lun 7 Sep 2009 - 9:25, édité 1 fois

Invité
Invité

Message  Invité Dim 17 Mai 2009 - 13:26

elephant

Invité
Invité

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé