Forum Haiti : Des Idées et des Débats sur l'Avenir d'Haiti

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
-29%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
PC portable – MEDION 15,6″ FHD Intel i7 – 16 Go / 512Go (CDAV : ...
499.99 € 699.99 €
Voir le deal

Ofisyèl ou pa, respekte lalwa.

Ofisyèl ou pa, respekte lalwa. Empty Ofisyèl ou pa, respekte lalwa.

Message  Thunder Lun 22 Nov 2010 - 8:54

Rangel's punishment
Congressman deserves the censure

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., appears on Capitol Hill. J. SCOTT APPLEWHITE / Associated Press file
By World's Editorial Writers
Published: 11/22/2010 2:21 AM
Last Modified: 11/22/2010 4:03 AM

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel has had a long, successful career. It's too bad that it will be ending on such a sour note. On the other hand, Rangel has no one to blame but himself.

Last week, the House Ethics Committee found enough evidence in 11 charges to vote to censure the New York Democrat. Rangel pleaded with the panel to show him "a drop of fairness and mercy" out of recognition of his lengthy public service.

That public service, however, is what demands the censure, the most severe punishment the House can deal other than expulsion.

Among the charges on which an ethics subcommittee found "clear and convincing" evidence were failing to pay taxes on a home in the Dominican Republic, misuse of a rent-controlled apartment for political purposes and improper use of his office to raise funds for a public policy center named for him.

The 80-year-old, 20-term congressman, who was re-elected Nov. 2 with an overwhelming majority, could be forced to stand before the full House for a public and embarrassing censure proceeding.

"I truly believe public officials have a higher responsibility than most Americans to obey the rules because we write them," Rangel told the ethics panel. "There can be no excuse for my acts of omission. I've failed in carrying out my responsibilities. I made numerous mistakes."

With that we agree. Public officials ought to be held to a higher standard. Some will contend that Rangel got off easy. Some will say he should be put in prison. Others, most likely his constituents, will stand by him.

Rangel broke the rules. He got caught. The censure is deserved. By World's Editorial Writers

Thunder
Thunder
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Loisirs : Target Practice, Sports Cars, Konpa...

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Le gardien

Revenir en haut Aller en bas