Forum Haiti : Des Idées et des Débats sur l'Avenir d'Haiti

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment :
Coffret Pokémon Bundle 6 Boosters EV05 Forces ...
Voir le deal
Le Deal du moment : -46%
Oceanic OCEAB120W Batteur électrique – ...
Voir le deal
7.51 €

Young Haitian MD named White House fellow

4 participants

Young Haitian MD named White House fellow Empty Young Haitian MD named White House fellow

Message  Sasaye Jeu 14 Aoû 2008 - 10:50

Novatan named White House Fellow
San Marin grad J. Nadine Gracia earns fellowship

By Patricia P. Goodin
News Editor

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:02 PM PDT

A 1991 graduate of San Marin High School has been named a White House Fellow, considered by many as one of the most prestigious leadership and public service programs in the country.

J. Nadine Gracia, M.D., MSCE, who grew up in Novato attending Pleasant Valley Elementary School, Sinaloa Middle School and San Marin High School, received the good news in June, five months after she had applied for the fellowship.

“On June 26,” Gracia said. “The office (of the White House Fellow Commission) actually calls to inform the fellows.”

Gracia and other candidates from throughout the country had to submit applications to the program by Feb. 1, 2008. She was notified in March that she was selected as a regional candidate, one of 97. That month she spent a day-and-a-half being interviewed in Chicago for the regional selection. In April she was notified she was selected to be a national finalist, one of 32. In June she went to Annapolis, Md., where she was interviewed over a period of three days. Upon hearing the official news on June 26, her first call was to her mother, Clemene Gracia, in Novato.

“I said, ‘Mom, we did it!’ I had to text message my father (at his work) — they had so many people praying for me and sending me words of encouragement,” Gracia said. “My mother said, ‘Our prayers have been answered!’ She was so happy. I was sitting there, rather shocked.”

After looking at Gracia’s bio, it not shocking at all that she would be selected a White House Fellow. The former track star and senior class valedictorian at San Marin High School went on to Stanford University. Fluent in French and Haitian Creole, she earned a B.A. with honors in French.

Her bio goes on to read: Gracia is a pediatrician and violence prevention researcher. She was a general pediatrics research fellow at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and received a Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology from the University of Pennsylvania. Her research addresses community-level risk factors for violence and the evaluation of neighborhood interventions to reduce violence. She is an associate of the Philadelphia Collaborative Violence Prevention Center. She earned her medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. She then completed pediatrics residency and served as Chief Pediatrics Resident at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. An advocate for minority and disadvantaged populations, she lectures nationwide on health disparities, diversity in education, and cultural competence. She is a National President Emeritus of the Student National Medical Association and a past Postgraduate Physician Trustee of the National Medical Association. She is a motivational speaker and career coach for thousands of students and physicians. She also conducts workshops throughout the country on leadership development, diplomacy, and strategic planning. She serves the community on issues of political awareness, health, and educational achievement through Delta Sigma Theta Sorority.

Selection as a White House Fellow is based on a combination of the following criteria:

• A record of remarkable professional achievement early in one's career.

• Evidence of leadership skills and the potential for further growth.

• A demonstrated commitment to public service.

•The knowledge and skills necessary to contribute successfully at the highest levels of the federal government.

White House Fellows may work as paid special assistants to senior White House Staff, the Vice President, Cabinet Secretaries and other top-ranking government officials. Fellows also participate in an education program of discussions with leaders from the private and public sectors. Some fellows may be sent overseas to study U.S. policy in action both domestically and internationally. Gracia and the other 13 Fellows selected this year will meet with President George Bush in October.

Gracia attributes much of her success to her parents, John F. and Clemene Gracia, who emigrated from Haiti to San Rafael, and have lived in Novato for 30 years.

“All the sacrifices they made, coming from Haiti. All the time people ask me how I am able to do all this. I just say they are my example,” Gracia said. “From Haiti to San Rafael and then to Novato. My mother was a math teacher in Haiti and my father was a school principal before they came to the U.S.”

As a White House Fellow, Gracia joins a prestigious group of business and government leaders, including past fellows Sen. Samuel D. Brownback, Kansas; Myron E. Ullman, Former CEO, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy; Gen. Wesley K. Clark U.S. Army (ret.), Former Supreme Allied Commander, Europe; Hon. Margaret M. McKeown, Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit; and Colin L. Powell, Former Secretary, U.S. Department of State, Former Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, General, U.S. Army (ret.) among others.

Gracia says her fellowship will place her in the Department of Health and Human Services, where she will work with Secretary Michael O. Leavitt and his staff. She says the fellowship program puts her to work right away.

“We don’t get much vacation time; they’ve already forewarned us,” she said. “I’m hoping to get back to my parents’ for Christmas.”

For more information about the White House Fellow program, visit www.whitehouse.gov/fellows/.

J. Nadine Gracia, M.D., MSCE
Sasaye
Sasaye
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Opinion politique : Indépendance totale
Loisirs : Arts et Musique, Pale Ayisien

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Maestro

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Young Haitian MD named White House fellow Empty Re: Young Haitian MD named White House fellow

Message  Sasaye Jeu 14 Aoû 2008 - 10:53

Konpliman machè, pale mwa dsa.
Fè tout moun wè ayisyen kapab, se pa nou tout ki ap sal kanson nou.

Mèsi.
Sasaye
Sasaye
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Opinion politique : Indépendance totale
Loisirs : Arts et Musique, Pale Ayisien

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Maestro

Young Haitian MD named White House fellow Empty Re: Young Haitian MD named White House fellow

Message  Rodlam Sans Malice Jeu 14 Aoû 2008 - 11:01

mwen te toujou ap tann ke 2 eme jeneratyon ayisyen ki imigre o Zeta Zuni a la fen ane 60 e o debi ane 70 ak 80 yo pral monte prestij ayisyen sa nou wè la se komansman.pita nou pral tande toujou bravo Doc Gracia.Nou konte sou wou pou mentni prestij nou pa bor isit.Les gens du Nord ,les gens du Nord courbent le dos quand le vent souffle trop fort.Se youn kinan nou.nap montre yo bann enbesil ki te konn ap rele nou moun morn yo.Bravoooooooooooooo.
Rodlam Sans Malice
Rodlam Sans Malice
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Loisirs : Lecture et Internet

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Stock market

Message  piporiko Jeu 14 Aoû 2008 - 14:11

bon bagay

piporiko
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Opinion politique : Homme de gauche,anti-imperialiste....
Loisirs : MUSIC MOVIES BOOKS

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: L'impulsif

Message  ed428 Jeu 14 Aoû 2008 - 16:49

Ekip sa a wap pale la a, yo Ayisyen selon konstitisyon 1987, men lan mantalite yo. yo pa Ayisyen pyes. Yo pa panse, yo agi kouwe lot Ayisyen, e gen anpil ladan yo ki pa menm pale kreyol. Antouka, we say congratulations to those Haitian-American who have made us proud.

ed428
Star
Star

Masculin
Loisirs : Reading

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle:

Message  Rodlam Sans Malice Jeu 14 Aoû 2008 - 17:33

pi bon toujou si yo pa panse tankou ayisyen.memsi youn italyen se katriyem jeneratyon li toujou di li se italyen.li pa wont de orijinn yo.se moun tankou Doktè gracia ak anpil lot ankor ki pou retire wont la nan figi nou.Lè yo fin n pran bon jan ekspertiz o Zeta Zuni ou byen an Erop pou yo ede jeness ki rete deyè ya.
Rodlam Sans Malice
Rodlam Sans Malice
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Loisirs : Lecture et Internet

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Stock market

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé