Forum Haiti : Des Idées et des Débats sur l'Avenir d'Haiti

Rejoignez le forum, c’est rapide et facile

Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment :
Pokémon EV06 : où acheter le Bundle Lot ...
Voir le deal

why imposing a second-class citizenship status on our kids?

why imposing a second-class citizenship status on our kids? Empty why imposing a second-class citizenship status on our kids?

Message  OBSERVER KEEN Dim 28 Juin 2009 - 16:24

I have found a bizarre phenomenon among Haitian parents with regard to their American-born kids.
while they are raising their kids to be proud of their Haitian heritage, they tend to accomplish that at the expense of their kids' own native status. their kids have no problem raising Haitian flags, but feel uncomfortable raising the stars and stripes. that is not building character in your kids. one should not reasonably expect one's kids to have more love for one's country than their own native country. I was very confused when some guy called Altidor a traitor for playing for the united states soccer team. the guy played for his native country just as vorbes had played for his own. we tend to criticize so-called haitian syrians for having more love for their ancestors' country than their own, but yet we are installing the same attitude in our own kids here in the united states. that is not building character but rather imposing a second-class citizenship status on our kids.
that is why I have my daughter pictured with polish, haitian and american flags with t-shirts saying " proud to be an American". we do not know the extent of our kids' potential progress in this country. so we should teach them to love their native country, its culture and allow them to participate in its development. I have just rented an R.V and i am going cross-country in an attempt to help my daughter discover his native country. we should never allow our kids to feel less comfortable being American. we would show our kids the citadelle, yet they do not know Ellis island or the statue of liberty. I refuse to raise my kids that way! they will love Haiti, but they should love their own country more. That is character-building!

OBSERVER KEEN
Star
Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle:

Revenir en haut Aller en bas